Sunday, March 10, 2013

CHEZ FATOUSH WITH ORHAN VELLI

In Fatoush Restaurant
Sitting with Laleh ,Mostafa,Murat and Arezu
Encircled with other Turkish friends
Reading Orhan Velli*
While smoking Hookah.
It feels like Istanbul.
"I am listening to Istanbul with my eyes closed
First a breeze in blowing
And leaves swaying
Slowly on the trees
Far,far away the bells of the 
Water carries ringing
I am listening to Istanbul with my eyes close."
Zohreh and Fatma are sitting on the throne
Listening to Orhan 
while kids are playing around.
"I am listening to Istanbul with my eyes closed 
A bird is passing by ,
birds are passing by screaming,screaming,
Fish nets being withdrawn in fishing weirs
A woman's toe dabbling in water,
I am listening to Istanbul with my eyes closed."
Hassan had to rush to Flaming Torch 
To extinguish the fire at work
When he comes back
Ayesheh huggs him and kisses him real hard.
"I am listening,
The cool Grand Bazaar
Mahmutpasha twittering
Full of pigeons
Sounds of hammering from the docks
In the summer breeze far,far away the odor of sweat,
I am listening."
Bazaar of the East
Travelling in long caravans of Silk Road
And The West embracing them wrapped
In silk and rugs.
Cafe Istanbul is listening 
While hookahs are bubbling.
"I am listening to Istanbul with my eyes lowered
The drunkenness of old times
In the wooden seaside villa with its deserted boat house
The roaring southern wind is trapped
My thoughts are trapped
Listening to Istanbul with my eyes closed."
With my eyes wide open
I walk down to Aksarai
From Taksim Square 
To race with natives and tourists
Istanbul is a Marathon trail 
Racing between Marmara and Black Sea.
"I am listening to Istanbul with my eyes closed
A coquette is passing by on the sidewalk
Curses,songs,songs,passes
Something is falling from your hand
To the ground
It must be a rose
I am listening to Istanbul with my eyes closed."
Now Mostafa is sitting on ottoman
Telling fortunes through cups of Turkish Coffee:
Life is like Infinity Plant
A long road to destiny
And Zohreh and Laleh 
Are gathering ladies to take pictures 
In front of Istanbul Bridge
Or boats sailing in Bughaz, 
and Murat Nemat-Nejat
Handing me the last stanza of 
Orhan's poem in english to recite:
"I am listening to Istanbul with my eyes closed
A bird is flying round your skirt
I know if your forehead is hot or cold
Or your lips are wet or dry 
Or if a white moon is rising above the pistachio tree
My heart's fluttering tells me...
I am listening to Istanbul with my eyes closed
--Fara Soleimani
* Orhan Velli Kanik,Turkish Poet
1914-1950



...

No comments:

Post a Comment