Wednesday, June 22, 2011

JEAN PAUL SARTRE ,THE PHILOSOPHER OF 20TH CENTURY


How one celebrates Sartre's birthday on june 21st of each year since 1905?
How one celebrates Sartre's life ,the way I did ,the day he died in 1980 and I filled out the whole art page of BAMDAD DAILY NEWSPAPER in Tehran,before a friendly bomb destroyed our beloved cultural house and left us (temporarily at least )homeless.Or in an answer to a booklong interview that I said :our generation is Generation of Sartre,who thought us how to think,how to write,how to cricicize and how to live life.
He was flirting with left,later fallen and left,but he could flirt with novel ,plays,literary criticism and other stuffs,as well.If one becomes a Sartre in 21st century,it would be an achievement,and all of us ,still trying,as Camus,Malraux and others thrived in 20th century,although still not Sartre!
Today I am celebrating our pioneer thinker's life by quoting him from hisLIFE/SITUATION,essays and speach.I owe this to an outstanding student of phylosophy who put all of his some  years endeavers,in a big brown ag and offered me for a buck.This was in Mount clair,New Jersey in 1992.I never forgive him.I never forget him either .He revived a student of Sartre in my mind,and I am trying to do the same to you.:
"I think it comes from the fact that one needs regular habits in order to write productivity.I haven't written just three novels in my life,I have written many,many pages....
He once said:
MAN IS CONDEMMED TO BE FREE,BECAUSE ONCE THROWN INTO THE WORLD HE[SHE] IS RESPONSIBLE FOR EVERYTHING ,HE[SHE] DOES IT IS UP TO YOU TO GIVE LIFE A MEANING.
He gave us a meaning.We offer each other a meaning in freedom and love.We are Sartrean by chice.
Miss you man!
See More:
Bernard-Henry Levy;SARTRE,The Philosopher of the Twentieth Century,Le ciecle de Sartre,Polity Press 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment